Saturday, October 4, 2008

So Much to Do in So Little Time

I will be twenty years old in 49 days (Sad that I know the exact number. Thanks Angeli...). I will no longer be a "silly teenager", but I will be an adult, I will be a twenty year old, I will be...(I think this is getting to me...) This transition of 19 to 20 has been the topic of discussion among Angeli and I for quite some time now. This transition not only means the rambling that I spoke of, but it also means we are one step closer to graduating and entering the "real world" [enter dramatic music]. Next year, is when I take my PPR TExES and GRE (the first for teaching certificate, the second for graduate school, which I am still contemplating) and Angeli takes the MCAT (my silly little physician). The following year we end our four years at Baylor (EEK!) All of this brought up by changing from 19 to 20, who woulda thunk it?!
So, in honor of this change, we have been thinking of things to do before we turn 20. The list is random and has no point, just something funny to do. When making this list, I did not realize it would include an emergency room visit. Yep, that's right, this little Tennessee girl had to go to the emergency room. I have never, let me repeat NEVER, been to the emergency room for something that has happened to me. This was truly eventful. So, why did I go, you may ask. Well let me tell you...
I have been sick lately, coughing, sneezing, and whatnot. Well, yesterday my left ear started bothering me, but I didn't think that much of it. This morning, however, I woke up with NO hearing in it. None, zip, nada, nothing. Let's just say, I was slightly freaked out. I took a shower, not better (I don't know why a hot shower would help, but I don't really understand my thinking all the time). I got ready, nothing changed. At 2:30 this afternoon, I was convinced I was going deaf (Well, wouldn't you if you couldn't hear?!?) It is the weirdest feeling. Someone would talk to me on one side, and I had no idea what they were saying, but the other side the words were coming in clear. I didn't know what was going on. I called my dad freaking out. He began freaking out. It was official, I must go to the emergency room and see if they could fix it.
Angeli and I drove to Hillcrest, and I signed the 896,857,463,276 papers that you must fill out (somewhat of an exaggeration...). Then we sat and waited. During this time, images of me in hearing aids were going through my head. Angeli didn't know what to do with me except sit on my good side so she could talk to me. During this waiting time, I halfway heard about the ordeal going on with the people next to me. Apparently, a dog was sent to attack their uncle for knocking on someone's door (Oh, emergency rooms, how I never want to be in one again...). Finally (aka 2 hours later), I was called to see the doctor. They asked me what I was coming in for (for the 400th time), the nurse left, the doctor came in, yada yada yada. He then asked me what was wrong (are you kidding me?!?! I think you should know by now.) He then looked at my good right ear. Then he saw my left. He kept repeating, "Oh, oh dear. Well that's not good." (Now my already overactive imagination went into overdrive!) He then began explaining what was wrong. Bubbles.

Yep, I have bubbles on my ear drum. These bubbles house bacteria that have infected my ear causing hearing loss. He said it was a rare kind of infection, but it could still be treated. (My imagination was calming down at this point) He wrote me some medication for pain, told me to wait for them to pop, and I would be have full hearing in 2-3 days. I walked out, explained to Angeli what was going on, and we both were bursting with laughter. Bubbles...on my ear drum... seriously?...SERIOUSLY?!?! I love how random things always happen to me. We went to Wal-Mart to get my medications. Angeli and I were still laughing. This whole situation was ridiculous. Needless to say, I am not going deaf, but suffering from hearing loss due to bubbles... Oh, dear. I guess I can cross emergency room off my list...



All that to say, I'm turning 20.



That's scary.

No comments: