Monday, January 12, 2009

I'm Back!

Christmas break is over. It was good. I was able to catch up with old friends and just relax for awhile. However, despite it being a good break, I was ready to be back in Waco. I was actually ready after about a week. Nashville is becoming more and more like a vacation (I lived out of a suitcase over break, I mean really...) and Waco is becoming more and more like home. I'm not the only one with this feeling though. Lara, great friend, co-worker, sister in Christ, and future roommate came to visit over the break and she shared the same feelings. Waco is wonderful despite its interesting past (interesting...yeah...'bout that...) and Baylor is the best university to be at. Many may object to this, however, it is the truth, and the truth hurts. Why do I love Baylor and Waco so much?

1. Campus- It is B-E-A-UTIFUL. No, really...it is.
2. Church Family- Highland's love of God, Christ, His Word, and His people, whether here in Waco or in a foreign land, is why I go and serve there.
3. People- I have met some of my best friends in the last 3 semesters. We not only have fun and enjoy the time we have in college, but we look for ways to help spur each other on in our walks with the Lord. What can be better than that?!?
4. Professors- Many colleges have huge classes where students are a mere name on a list. Not here. I have spent countless hours going and talking to my professors about anything and everything. They truly care about their students and want to get to know them as a person. Dr. Holmes, my biology professor last semester, is a prime example. He loved when we came by whether to ask a question or have a chat, which would usually last atleast an hour just because you would get so caught up in the conversation. Angeli and I even baked brownies for him because he was that wonderful.
5. Suspension Bridge and Tortilla Tossing- I LOVE tortilla tossing off the bridge. Did you know, that a tortilla is much like a frisbee? Combine 1 part tortilla with 1 part bridge and 2 parts random concrete stands in the river add 85 ducks and you get a whole lot of fun. (Welcome to Waco, we throw tortilla frisbees off bridges and call it a sport)
6. Taco Stands- mmm... $1 fresh tacos made when you order. So stinkin' good. All you need is a little Spanish knowledge (atleast enough to order food: Dos tacos. Carne asada con todo. See, not that bad, right?) and you are good to go.
7. Teriyaki Park- spicy california rolls 10 for $5. 'nuff said.
8. My bed- 2 foam pads, 4 pillows, and a down comforter. Sheer bliss.
9. Story time with the roomie- It always ends up in large amounts of laughter.
10. Library- You always find someone to study with...or get distracted with. Even in the wee hours of the morning.

That is only the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, Waco, how I love thee, let me count the ways...

Oh, dear, I have lost it and it's only the first day of classes...