Monday, September 8, 2008

Random Happenings

On Friday, I decided that Saturday would be a perfect day to escape the Baylor bubble and head south to Austin. So, I stayed in and did homework (nerd, I know) in order that I could fully enjoy my day without having to worry about when I needed to get back. I invited my roommate, who has never been to Austin before (CRIME!) to go with me. I love Austin. It's a wonderful city, full of interesting people and really cool places to hang out at. I went to one of my favorite restaurants (Shady Grove, always get the noodle salad with Thai grilled chicken and a Hibiscus Zinger tea...heaven!). After my wonderful lunch, I traveled down to Guadalupe for a little shopping. I also stopped at this little marketplace (Well, it's kind of a marketplace...) and browsed around to see what the local people were selling. I really think the guy I bought a bracelet from was high when I was talking to him (Did I mention interesting people??). Later while Abby and I were walking back to my car, we were stopped by an interesting fellow. He asked us if we could spare some change so he could buy weed. Yep, that's right, weed. We looked at each other then kept walking, wondering if we heard him correctly. After safely making it back tot he car (no more "weed man" encounters), we decided we wanted a little dessert. So, I drove down Congress, over the bridge where the bats come out at night (it's pretty awesome I recommend going to see them come out at least one time if you are ever in Austin), and to Hey cupcake!. It's an Airstream trailer that sells cupcakes! The normal ones, like my fave The Standard (Chocolate frosting on a yellow cake) are only $2, and the other special ones are $2.50. Not bad, if I say so myself. AND, now you can get a shot of whip cream in the middle for FREE. Yep, that's right a delicious cupcake made even better with whip cream exploding out of the center (Did I mention I love Austin). After all the fun and excitement, we headed back to Waco and the Baylor bubble. Abby and I decided homework (Well, her homework. I finished mine. Nerd...) could be put off some more, so we watched a movie. It was a great day. Sunday was great, too, but you already read that.

So, onto today.

Oh, Monday, Monday, da da, da dadada.... Sorry for the music, I apologize. Anyway, my day started off like any other day. I woke up, showered, ate a strawberry pop tart with my coffee, and got ready for class. First class of the day, Biology 1306 aka Bio 2. We are currently discussing meiosis and mitosis, which can be pretty bland, but my professor makes it funny due to his odd comments said during lecture. Today, for instance, he began telling a story about his sister giving birth to his nephew when she was 42, which is risky when you begin speaking about genetics and cytokinesis (Sorry, I want to teach this stuff, and it has some pretty sweet words). Continuing, at the end of the story, he goes on to say he was a healthy boy and was now 19 shacking up with some girl in Louisiana. Why we needed to know this information, I have no idea, but we all laughed and he gave his funny little smile. After his class, which continued with more odd comments, I jet across campus to go to Spanish. I despise Spanish. According to the Education Department, it is the ONLY foreign language. Gross. So, I suffer through Spanish sounding like an idiot because I cannot properly roll my "r"s. Profesor Dooley does try and keep it entertaining by making jokes and asking funny questions, but I am still the first one out the door.

In other news...
Today, I was determined to get my package from the mail room. It has been there since August 23, but they keep saying they don't have it. This time I came prepared. There is no one in line and I have my tracking number printed directly from my email, so she can't say that it "doesn't exist". Twenty minutes later with 5 people waiting in line behind me, I walk out a proud woman, package in hand. Why did it take twenty minutes, you ask, because they mixed up tracking numbers and switched mine with some other persons. Silly, mail room.


After having my proud moment of the day, I ventured over to Memorial, got my lunch to go (Broccoli and Mushroom Pasta with Alfredo sauce, a spinch salad with Balsalmic Vinegrette, and a cookie cone... yumm...), I came back to my dorm, ate, and watched E! News. I got on Facebook (because that is what college kids do), then I talked to Olivia! Oh, how I love my best friend, who happens to be 20+ hours away from me. Sad, I know. We had a long chat about everything that has been going on in our lives since we have returned to college. It is refreshing to hear that she is going through the same thing I am right now. Our chat had to end though, homework for both of us, and I have class and an SI left for the day (Oh, how I can't wait until it is 7 when my day finally winds down).


So, nothing out of the ordinary, just the average life of a college sophmore. It's insanely hot outside today, though. I'm really looking forward to October. THEN I can go outside and have a retreat under my favorite tree or sit on my favorite swing. October can't come soon enough, but by the looks of it, the cool down won't happen until November. Silly, Texas...


¡Hasta maƱana!

1 comment:

Kristin D Barrett said...

hey lovely = ] i hope you are feeling better and more secure and such. i dont like my alanna to be sad. but it was a change to be the one listening not the one being whiny lol i love you big sis = ] you're the best